Sunday, February 3, 2008

#16 Wiki Wanderings

I wandered around in the recommended Wikis, and I noticed something good about a few of them. The Library Success Wiki is an ambitious venture, and a great idea, but to be great, it needs greater participation. Then, I realized that it also could become overwhelming. The idea to have a wiki for all library best practices is terrific, but not workable yet. The Bull Run wiki seemed to immitate a traditional web page, so it's function didn't seem to solve a novel problem, but maybe allows people to easily update the library's web page, a fairly old problem. Or, maybe I didn't "get it." The subject guides wiki was lots of fun. I like how users can view the guides by title (topic) or may instead choose to browse by category (type of resource, such as book, directory, government info, etc.) What I didn't like was that you couldn't do both. Right now, tools like PirateSource do a better job at this than wikis do. Finally, my favorite wiki on the list was the Book Lovers' Wiki. I can imagine library users participating in something like this, reviewing books in the library's collection. Even better would be patron's participation in the library catalog, directly, though.

No comments: